Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup (version 1)
Le Cellier Steakhouse
3 cups milk
1 cup chicken broth
6 slices bacon, diced
1/4 cup finely diced red onion
1/4 cup finely diced celery
1/4 cup chopped scallion
3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 cups shredded Canadian white cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
Snipped fresh chives or minced scalions for garnish
1. In a 2 quart saucepan, heat the milk and the chicken broth over medium low heat.
2. Meanwhile, in a 4 or 5 quart Dutch oven, cook the bacon, stirring over medium heat for about 5 minutes , or until lightly browned.
3. Add the red onion, celery, and scallion and cook, stirring, until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
4. Remove the Dutch oven from the heat, add the heated milk mixture, and whisk until well blended. Return to the heat and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixtue comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, or until thickened.
5. Remove the Dutch oven from the heat and stir in the cheese , Tabasco sauce, Worchestershire sauce, salt, pepper until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth.
6. Serve the soup hot, garnished with chives.
Makes 4 cups.
Le Cellier Cheddar Cheese Soup (version 2)
1/2 lb bacon cut into 1/2 in. pieces
3 celery ribs cut into 1/4 in pieces
3 cups milk
1 medium red onion cut into 1/4 in. pieces
2 tbsp butter
3 cups water or chicken broth
3 dashes tabasco
1 cup flour
1/2 cup beer
3/4 lb grated white cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
In a soup pot start to brown the onion over medium heat. When the bacon is starting to get crisp, add the onions, celery and butter. Cook until the onion is translucent. Add the flour and incorporate with the butter. Cook for 4 minutes-constantly stirring. Add the water/broth and whisk. Make sure there are no lumps. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stir every couple of minutes. Add the milk and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil after you add the milk. After the last 15 minutes, turn off the heat and stir in the cheese then the beer. Add the tabasco and season with salt and pepper. If the soup is too thick you can thin it out with some milk. Serve with your favorite bread and top with some chopped scallions or chives.