Smoky Portobello Mushroom Soup
Artist Point at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
6 each medium Portobello Mushrooms
3 each medium Smoked Portobello Mushrooms (see instructions)
1/2 cup Sweet Onions
1/2 cup Chardonnay
1-1/4 quarts Heavy Cream
24 oz. Chicken Broth
1-1/2 tbsp. Garlic, chopped
1-1/4 cup White Roux (equal parts of butter and flour; cook slowly over low
To Taste Salt and Pepper
Croutons (see recipe)
Chive Oil (see recipe)
Roasted Shiitake Mushrooms (see recipe)
Sour Cream (see recipe)
Chives, cut for garnish
1. Clean the portobellos by wiping them with a damp towel (do not wash!).
Remove the mushroom gills (the slats on the underside of the caps).
2. Saute the onions lightly (to sweat).
3. Add the unsmoked mushrooms to the onions.
4. Add the garlic when the mushrooms are almost cooked.
5. Add the smoked mushrooms.
6. Add the chardonnay and reduce by half.
7. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
8. Place in a blender or food processor in batches.
9. Add the heavy cream slowly and continue to blend.
10. Season to taste.
11. Place the mixture back into the pot.
12. Add the roux and let simmer for 20 minutes.
13. Serve hot and garnish with croutons and roasted shiitake mushrooms, a
dollop of sour cream, drizzle with chive oil and cut chives.
Smoking Portobello Mushrooms:
* In a home smoker, place thick slices of portobello mushrooms on the rack
and cold smoke for one hour.
* We use chips for our smoker.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 325-350 degrees.
2. Cut 6 slices of your favorite bread into 3/4" squares.
3. Toss in a bowl with 1/4 cup melted butter.
4. Place on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Bake at 325-350 degrees until brown.
1. Place 1 cup of light olive oil in a blender and add to that 1 cup of
2. Blend for 30 seconds and let rest for 1 hour.
3. Strain through a fine sieve.
Roasted Shiitake Mushrooms:
1. Thinly slice 2 cups of shiitake mushrooms.
2. Toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a little salt and pepper.
3. Place on a baking sheet and roast in the oven at 375 degrees until crispy
and golden brown.
4. Cool and set aside.
1. Place a little sour cream in a bowl and whip it up by hand until smooth.
2. Set aside.